Left brain right brain test shows which hemisphere of yours is in charge. Answer 20 personality-related questions to find out which side of your mind is active.
Left Brain Right Brain Test Explained for Dummies
It is a set of several traits- and feature-related questions that indicate which half of your brain is predominant. The idea is that your personality implies which hemisphere is in charge. So, the test’s goal is to reveal your character and then determine your brain’s preference. Most of the tests offer a personality analysis, too.
There Are Two Types of Tests
You can find two different types of online quizzes, personality-oriented and function-related. (See below).
Left Brain Right Brain Personality Quizzes
Such questionaries focus on your traits and behaviors. According to popular belief, people with certain characteristics tend to use specific parts of their brain. So, some hemisphere tests try to analyze your character to figure out your mind dominance.
Some online quizzes assess your routine functions. They ask questions about your body language, gestures, or movements. The goal is to determine which side of your body is governing your activities. That is how they decide whether you are a left-brained or right-brained person.
The Science Behind the Left/Right-Brain Tests
Roger Wolcott Sperry was an American neuropsychologist who worked on the theory of spilled-brain. He and his teammate found out that each hemisphere deals with specific tasks. Sperry also proved that humans’ minds work in a contralateral way. That means the left side of the mind controls the right side of the body and vice versa.
However, some psychologists used Sperry’s work to create the idea of left and right brain personalities. He never approved of such functionality. But the concept became popular, anyway. Some articles were soon published in Times and other publications, claiming that your hemispheres define who you are.
The left/right brain tests emerged a couple of years after the popularization of the idea. However, they gained more attention during the internet era as everyone could take them and receive the result immediately.
Why Are Most Brain Dominance Quizzes Not Scientific?
Although Sperry’s studies led him to win a Novel Prize, the mind dominancy theory was never proved. He confirmed that our hemispheres have unique tasks to manage. But he never claimed that such functionality could affect your personality. That is why most left-brained right-brained tests are not scientific.
There is no evidence that people with left or right dominant hemisphere are not able to do specific things. For instance, the popular belief is that people with left-brain dominancy are good at speech, art, and imaginative thinking. However, you can find billions of successful performers, linguists, or ideologists who are not left-brained.
Humans Do NOT Have a 100% Dominant Hemisphere
Corpus Callosum is the area between the two sides of the brain. Its job is to allow the two hemispheres to communicate with each other. So, you are using both sides to think, act, react, and rest. That is why science does not approve of the idea of separate brain functionality. Here are two reasons why you cannot have a 100% leading hemisphere.
Proof #1: FMRI Studies
A group of neuropsychologists used FMRI scans to prove that humans use both parts of the brain equally. They asked the participants to do nothing while their brain is being scanned. The idea was that if one hemisphere is dominant, it will be more active during the resting state. However, the fMRI tests showed no difference between the activity level of the left or right side.
Proof #2: Possible Dominance of Left Hemisphere
We know that the brain functions in a contralateral way. So, right-handed people mainly use their left hemisphere and vice versa. Now, think about the possible consequences. If brain dominancy were real, 88% of the world’s population would be logical, mathematical, fact-oriented, and linear thinkers. And only 10% of the world’s population—aka the left-handed people—would be musicians, artists, and creative thinkers. (That does not make any sense).
So, What Is the Left VS. Right Characteristics Chart?
Dr. Sperry suggested that our brain is a contralateral organ. Some psychologists and psychiatrists used his idea to create a characteristics chart for left and right hemispheres. Their concept is simple. If you are using one side of a brain more than the other, you are better at that hemisphere’s specialized tasks. For instance, if your dominant side is left, you are a better musician, artist, and creative thinker. Here is the chart that the abovementioned psychologists created.
|Left Dominant Personality
|Right Dominant Personality
|Better at arranging and ordering
|Better at mathematics
|Better at artistic tasks
|Better at understanding music
Left/Right Brain Test Myth Busting
Hemisphere Dominance Is Not Inherited
You do not inherit your brain performance. It is completely developmental. And there is no particular connection between the preference of a child and their parents.
Your Brains Are Not Solo Workers
Our mind functions as a duo. You will face difficulty deal with some tasks if your hemispheres stop communicating.
Not All Hemisphere Functions Are Contralateral
Some functions, such as smell, are not contralateral. That means your nasal cavities are not connected to the opposite part.
Left Brain Right Brain Games Are Not Effective
Such games might help you develop new skills or brush up on the old ones. However, they cannot accurately target a specific part of your brain.
How Can You Find Your Dominant Brain Without Taking a Quiz?
The simplest way to identify your hemisphere dominancy is to think about your right- or left-handedness. Since our mind is contralateral, let-handed people are mainly right-brained, and right-handed people are left-brained.
How to Play?
Playing personality quizzes is straightforward: Choose the option that’s true about you—or you relate to—and select “Next.” Unlike trivia quizzes, personality tests have no right or wrong answers. But the questions are in forced-choice format. The point is to push you to choose an option that makes the most sense, not the one that’s 100% true. For the most accurate results, don’t overthink your responses. Go with options that you “feel” are the best.
Questions of the quiz
- 1What is your favorite subject (if you had to choose between these two options)?
- 2It’s a party night, and your friends want to do karaoke. How well would you perform?
I’m a karaoke beast
I’m not good at singing
- 3You had a car accident, and you lost one of your arms. Which one is it?
- 4Your teacher wants to give you a task. But you can choose the one you like better. Which one do you select?
Organizing the library books
Writing a short sci-fi story for kids
- 5Which one fascinates you the most?
Hearing a mind-blowing fact
Watching a famous artist’s artwork
- 6Do you think that it is rational for people to cry for no reason?
- 7Your internet connection is lost. You have to wait at least one hour till it’s reconnected. How do you feel about that?
It’s a torture
- 8Your friend wants to go back to their ex who cheated on them. What do you think about that?
It’s their life, their decisions
- 9You have to seal a magical door so no one can open it. You should create a spell for that. Which one do you choose?
A rhythmic spell that is extremely hard to understand and repeat
A mind-bending mathematical formula that no one can solve.
- 10Do you ever perform imaginary concerts when you are alone?
- 11Which of the following descriptions suits your personality?
I always see the bigger picture
I see details that others ignore
- 12What do you think about discipline?
It is vital
It is a good thing to have
- 13Are your dreams more like a detailed sci-fi movie?
- 14There is a contest in your school, and the winner receives $2,000 in cash. You just have to write a short story in 2 hours. Do you think you’d have a chance to win?
My chances of winning would be high
I would have no chance to win
- 15You are a superhero, and there is a monster attacking your city. What superpower do you use to defeat it?
Leaser beams coming out of my eyes
Minimizing the monster’s size so I can trap it in a bottle
- 16You are the manager at hell (yes, hell). How’d you punish the sinners?
I’d give them a math problem that has no answer, but they have to solve it
I’d make them sing a song for monsters who hate any noise
- 17“He was a tall guy with a long beard and dirty face. People thought he is the devil himself. But his eyes were different. He had the eyes of an angel…” Is it hard for you to imagine how this character would look like?
Not at all
- 18“I can see the world in numbers.” Do you agree?
- 19You are in a quiet and beautiful forest. You wish you had your _______ with you so you could make the most of it.
- 20Is it easy for you to communicate with kids?